View Full Poster
See our photo gallery from Kira Summer School 2000.
See photos from the student New Years gathering.
Read a student's account of this summer school (and Summer School 2001) by Thomas Reydon.
Our third Kira Summer School was held July 30 to August 12, 2000, on the Amherst College campus, with the topic "Ways of Knowing." The program explored the interplay between scientific and other ways of encountering the world and their associated dimensions of meanings and values. Special attention was given to the possible integration of these different perspectives in daily life.
Also, during the Summer School on August 4 to August 6, a three-day public conference took place. Please see the Kira Conference 2000 for more details.
The Kira Conference included presentations by the following speakers:
- Thupten Jinpa, distinguished Tibetan translator and interpreter of the Dalai Lama
- Erazim Kohak, Emeritus Professor of Philosophy at Boston University
- Elisabeth Lloyd, Professor of Biology and Philosophy at Indiana University
- Brian Cantwell Smith, Professor of Cognitive Science and Computer Science at Indiana University
- Elizabeth Spelke, Professor of Brain and Cognitive Sciences at MIT
- Eleonore Stump, Professor of Philosophy at St. Louis University
- Joel Upton, Professor of Art and History at Amherst College